Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wednesday Highlights

Sarah Palin hit a home run on Wednesday night. Delegates loved he speech. She has truly energized the ticket.

In a night filled with great one liners, her attack on the media got a very spontaneous result. Delegates began to boo and heckle the media. The Maryland delegation had alternate delegates above the CNN booth and they were giving it to their convention staff.
I could see that the CNN and NBC staffs were not thrilled.

Obama earned a new nickname from convention delegates, “zero” for the number of years of leadership he has. Delegates chanted “zero” throughout the evening.

The most memorable line of the night for me was delivered by Mike Huckabee who said that Sarah Palin had gotten more votes in her mayoral election than Joe Biden had gotten for president.

Delegates also loved the speeches from Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani.

Tonight was also the night delegates voted. Not surprisingly McCain got nearly every vote at the convention.

One of the conflicts I personally was how to cast my vote. I had campaigned for this position under the rules which had Utah casting its votes for Romney. Keeping my promises means something to me. Our state central committee decided to reinterpret how this rule was applied at the last possible instant.

I did not agree with how this was handled and gave instructions that my vote would go to Romney if the nomination was still in play by the time it was Utah’s turn to vote. Since McCain had enough votes by the time it had gotten to Utah; my vote ultimately went to McCain.

Ultimately this rule must be changed. I hope the state party will address this immediately.

I have not been a McCain fan, but I have been happy that our party is once again talking about reducing government spending. We have to return to being the party of fiscal discipline. Let’s hope McCain delivers on his promise.

Prior to the convention we were treated to a reception by Union Pacific on one of their rail cars. It was a very nice event, which included all delegates receiving a train whistle as a keepsake. Of course, these were confiscated when we went through security at the convention site because no noise makers are allowed.

In the morning we were treated to breakfast by Governor Huntsman. The highlight of this event was being addressed by a Medal of Honor winner and a former P.O.W. in Vietnam.

Tomorrow includes breakfast with Congressman Rob Bishop and a visit to the Mall of America. The convention wraps up with John McCain’s acceptance of the nomination.

No comments: