Thursday, February 12, 2009

Supporting Traditional Marriage

Shortly after I learned that Governor Huntsman was now supporting “Civil Unions”; I changed my Facebook status to state: “Unlike the Governor; I still support traditional marriage.”

After I posted my update; a response came stating “The Governor only supports civil unions?”

What is the difference?

I personally can’t see any.

Ultimately I wish the government wasn’t involved in the marriage debate. Back in the 1800’s; government laws were aimed at ending polygamy which made many of my ancestors (who were good men) criminals. I wish the business of marriage were left to religions.

But whether I like it or not; government is involved in the debate. Government does sanction marriages now.

On matters such as these I have to turn to what I believe God’s will is. Ultimately I have to strongly believe that marriage should be reserved for a man and a woman.

No comments: